What is English for Specific Purposes (ESP)? - ENGINEERING
ESP courses offer you an opportunity to improve your English language skills related to your specific professional area.
Why study ESP at CET?
CET delivers programs in alignment with the University of Sydney’s full range of faculties and research areas and is highly experienced in delivering ESP programs for a range of clients including government departments, university academics and leading professionals. At CET we offer the freedom to explore new challenges while helping students develop the skills to tackle global issues and achieve their goals in their specific disciplines. Our programs provide English-language skills that can be applied in the global workforce. We also equip you with cross-cultural understanding, diversity in thinking, and the ability to adapt to different work environments.
This combination of expertise, experience and connection to a world class research community makes CET at the University of Sydney an excellent choice to enhance your communication skills and performance in your specific field.
In your ESP course, you will:
- practice the English language skills, vocabulary and concepts related to your field.
- practice the skills and language required to succeed at university.
- prepare for industry-specific tests, such as the Occupational English Test (OET), where appropriate. Achieving the score you need in the OET ensures you have employment-ready or registration-ready language skills.
- complete a project (do research, give a presentation and write a report on your area of interest).
- monitor lectures.
- experience university life.
What is the tuition fee?
- The tuition fee for ESP is $1,700 per course. Administration and materials fees apply.
Can I combine with other courses?
- You can combine ESP with other Professional Pathway courses such as General English (GE) and Intensive Test Preparation (ITP). Please enrol in GE or ITP online, then contact us to enrol in ESP.
What do I need to enter?
- You must have a minimum IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
For more information, view the Test Concordance Table.
- Customised programs can be designed for specific groups at any English level on request.
What courses are available and when can I start?
- ESP courses are 4 weeks.
- ESP courses are 20 hours per week.
- ESP courses may be held in the morning, afternoon or evening.
We have a number of courses designed to suit a variety of needs.
Note: A minimum of 8 students is required for a course to run in an area of study. CET reserves the right to cancel a course 4 weeks prior to commencement. You will receive final confirmation of your course on 2 June 2014.
Customised ESP programs for groups are available in all areas of study. The course length, dates and level can be customised to the group.